Recipe by Katie Novak – Adapted from Samantha’s Cookbook (yes the old American Girl one)
I made these, or close to them, over and over again when I was a little girl. The copyright date in the book is 1994, so it was probably close to that time. I remember my first crack at them, they called for shortening, and my 8 year old brain went oh ok, it’s that white soda stuff. 3 TBSP of soda, no fat and my parent’s strange looks on their faces, they were pseudo edible, just in an Irish Soda Bread sort of way. After that I baked and cooked whenever I could. If my parents were going out of town that meant Katie got to cook, and cook I did, sometimes to my bother’s dismay I will add. I had forgotten about this book, until going through a bunch of old childhood memories. Thankfully I saved it. I’ve since altered the recipe, for the better I believe.
- 1 Cup Fresh Blueberries
- 3 TBSP Coconut Oil
- 3 TBSP Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 3/4 Cups Flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Almond Extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place cupcake liners in muffin/cupcake tins. Makes 12.
- Cream the Coconut Oil and Sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Add Egg and beat well.
- Stir in the Milk and Almond Extract and mix well.
- Sift the Flour, Baking Powder and Salt. Add to wet mixture and stir just enough to moisten the flour mixture.
- Stir in the Blueberries.
- Fill each muffin cup approx 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Tops of muffins will be just turning golden brown. When toothpick or cake tester is inserted it should come out clean.
- Let cool a few minutes, but enjoy warm.